I also had some leftover creme fraiche that I used, but sour cream or yogurt would be fine.
Here's the recipe:
- 1/2 cup (2.5 oz) cake flour
- 1/2 cup (2.5 oz) whole grain flours -- whole wheat, oat, quinoa, buckwheat, whatever
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk (I use powdered)
- 2 tbsps sour cream or creme fraiche or plain yogurt
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted butter, cooled to room temp
- Whisk flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in medium bowl. (Add the powdered buttermilk here if you're using it.)
- In second medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk (or 1 cup of water if using powdered buttermilk), sour cream, egg yolk, and oil.
- Beat the egg white to stiff peaks in a separate bowl. (This is optional, but easy to do if you have a hand mixer.)
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir gently until combined. Fold in egg white. Allow batter to sit 10 minutes before cooking.