Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cornmeal-Rye Waffles

Hi Everyone!

This morning, I made cornmeal-rye blueberry waffles.  I used a recipe that Suzanne gave me from the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking cookbook.  It makes a ton, so I cut it in half and it still make about 10 waffles for me.

In order to make this more cholesterol-friendly, I used egg whites in place of eggs (2 whites for each whole egg in the recipe), and Earth Balance margarine in place of butter.  It was my first try using that stuff and while it worked fine I think I'll use canola oil instead for recipes like this where you just melt it anyway.  I used clabbered milk (1% milk + lemon juice/zest) instead of buttermilk because that's what I had handy and lemon flavor is nice with blueberries.  I also beat the egg whites to stiff peaks before adding them, because I'm a total waffle badass.  The blueberries are frozen wild ones that I stirred into the batter at the end (not part of the original recipe).

These had a great flavor to them, and didn't really need much syrup.  They did need to be baked through in order to prevent them from coming apart when taking them out.  They also stick pretty seriously to the waffle iron, so maybe use some cooking spray even if your waffle iron is non-stick.




3 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
6 tbsp butter melted
2 cups yellow cornmeal
2 cup whole rye flour
1/4 sugar
2 tsp baking power
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

whisk together buttermilk, eggs and melted butter in a med. bowl. in a sep. bowl blend the dry ingredients, then quickly and gently combine the wet and dry. let batter sit for 10 min. to allow cornmeal to soften. the batter will be quite thick by the time you're ready to use it.

preheat waffle iron; if it's not nonstick, spray with nonstick cooking spray before preheating. whe the iron is hot enough, drop the batter onto it by 1/3 cupfuls, and bake until the waffle iron stops steaming, 3 to 5 min. These waffles are best with a crispy, browned exterior so be sure to bake them long enough for the exterior to get quite firm.

yield: 16, 4-inch square waffles

No comments:

Post a Comment